[Xastir] Some Pocket Chip Success

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 24 14:05:54 PDT 2016

     Got Xastir going in the Pocket CHIP and discovered through a posting on the CHIP forum that a recalcitrant Window can be re-positioned with holding the "Alt" key while pressing and holding the left mouse button and scrolling around!  Now I have to see if I can tame a Bluetooth problem and will be all set.  I'm surprised how well Xastir looks in this small screen on a nativelinux Debian "jessie" distro.  A cold boot and start of Xastir takes 2 minutes 20 seconds of the offline Cloudmade map of Illinois I have stored to come up but repaints from zooming are pretty quick zooming in and longer zooming out.  I can live with it.
I didn't have the skills to put a pure Linux ROM on a Nexus device so took a chance on this and quite frankly I'm impressed withit.  Sure, only a single cpu and it's not a fire breathing laptop but I certainly could run portable with this.  I just have to get a B/TTNC to pair and run reliably. I was able to see a B/T GPS come up albeit a 38.4bps unit.  I was able to get an NMEA 9600bpsreceiver to pair with the 38.4 but not with the 57.6 B/T GPS attached. Kurt KC9LDH