[Xastir] distance / bearing configuration option non-operational?

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sun Jul 17 12:12:50 PDT 2016

Hello Ken,

> Are you sure you're looking in the right spot?
>
> I had to go check to see what it did on my display and It took me a bit to
> figure out what it did.   It only affects the status bar at the bottom where
> it normally displays just lat/long/grid', adding distance and bearing to the
> cursor to that field.

Yes, I know what you're talking about in the status area.  I was under
the direct impression that if the "Enable English Units" would change
all the labels on the map area, disabling this "distance / bearing"
feature would do the same thing.

> I did notice that on my display with my choice of fonts the text doesn't fit
> in the field and I have to select it with the mouse and highlight to see
> everything.    The field should be wider,  so that seems to be a bug.

Hmmm.. I'm not seeing that issue here on Centos 6.8.  Maybe you don't
have all the required fonts installed at the OS level?

>> Personally for me, the distance is kinda nice but I can care less about
>> the bearing.  For example on K6OJ-7, I'm seeing:
>>
>>      3.8mi        jogger      121ft
>>      304 degree   symbol      K6OJ-7
>>      2 min                   295 degree
> Nice, but it would require another entry in the  'Station/Filter Display'
> menu.  Not that it couldn't be done,  just that it hasn't filtered to the top
> of anyone's todo list.

Agreed and I guess this email thread was to first find out if what I'm
observing is the expected behavior.  If it is, I guess the next question
is if an enhancement could be made to have this Boolean configuration at
least disable the distance and bearing labels on each APRS object on the
map?

--David
KI6ZHD