[Xastir] distance / bearing configuration option non-operational?

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Sat Jul 16 20:54:36 PDT 2016

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 6:01:41 PM PDT David Ranch wrote:
> One more question for the group . if I enable or disable the File -->
> Configure --> Dist/Bearing status item, it doesn't change anything on my
> display.  It doesn't for me even after restarting Xastir.  Is this
> normal?  The
> "enable english units" option works fine.

Are you sure you're looking in the right spot?

I had to go check to see what it did on my display and It took me a bit to
figure out what it did.   It only affects the status bar at the bottom where
it normally displays just lat/long/grid', adding distance and bearing to the
cursor to that field.

I did notice that on my display with my choice of fonts the text doesn't fit
in the field and I have to select it with the mouse and highlight to see
everything.    The field should be wider,  so that seems to be a bug.

> Personally for me, the distance is kinda nice but I can care less about
> the bearing.  For example on K6OJ-7, I'm seeing:
>
>     3.8mi        jogger      121ft
>     304 degree   symbol      K6OJ-7
>     2 min                   295 degree

Nice, but it would require another entry in the  'Station/Filter Display'
menu.  Not that it couldn't be done,  just that it hasn't filtered to the top
of anyone's todo list.

> Would be nice if this could be more configurable and maybe just show the
> following which would lend Xastir's display to being a bit less cluttered:
>
>     jogger      K6OJ-7
> symbol     3.8mi
>                2 min
>
> or maybe just
>
>     jogger
>     symbol
>     K6OJ-7
>
> --David
> KI6ZHD
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
Entropy isn't what it used to be.