[Xastir] rocket tracker O/T sorry

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:16:05 EDT 2016

> On Mar 13, 2016, at 3:21 PM, Kurt <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Oh,
>   Another thing is John Beans is working on a generic GPS mesh network tracking device.  Actually sounds like a transceiver.

Xbee has mesh networking firmware, but I've never found it necessary. It would be fairly straightforward to implement what you're talking about, although not nearly as simple as the eggfinder method.

>  Your rocket lands out of range and I launch one of mine up and it "hears" your final position of your downed rocket and sends the positionback to the ground station.
[snick]
> Might be helpful for those who go "stupid high" and "stupid fast" and are recovering a long waysaway from the starting point.

A technique that has proven quite useful is to simply go to the last position that the tracker was heard and look/m around and/or listen with the radio for an update. It helps to make sure you are logging data at the ground station.

This works with rockets as well as balloons that go as far as  150 miles down range - the chase team could be hours out. The APRS digi network is incredibly valuable for long ranges.

I do have an MFJ telescoping pole (MFJ1910) that I use to push my receiver about 10 or 15 ft into the air if I'm going very high.

-j