[Xastir] tactical call signs

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 10:22:36 EDT 2016

If you're talking tactical callsigns that you put into the callsign field
on the tracker itself, it must be up to six uppercase letters and/or
numbers plus an optional -0 to -15 SSID (nothing in SSID equals -0).

Stay away from super generic callsigns like "LEAD", "TAIL", etc, so they
don't conflict with someone else's tactical calls that day running a
different event across the world. That way you won't have a conflict for
anyone local who's following it with an internet-only connection, plus
findu.com and aprs.fi won't ping-pong between the multiple events either.

If you're talking about tactical callsigns assigned at the receiving side
(and optionally re-transmitted to other APRS programs) then there are
different rules, perhaps also different between different APRS programs.
For instance you can assign Upper/Lower-case and numbers, probably some
punctuation as well, up to 57 characters in Xastir using that method.

Good luck. I hope your event goes very well!

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Jerry Wetherholt <
mrfixit2003_975 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> its been a while since i did mods to aprs. what is a good format for
> tactical call signs? we are going to be hosting bike ride upcomming months
> and didnt know what we could use that would work on any aprs maps. we plan
> on haveing things like lead vehicle, sag wagons and checkpoints. any
> suggestions on how to format it in place of callsign on track units. we
> have different makes open trackers and kpc setups
>
> jerry
> kf5aok

Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u