[Xastir] OSX sound setting

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Apr 17 08:09:19 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 07:58:55AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n7ipb at wetnet.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sunday, April 16, 2017 2:33:05 PM PDT F1MHV wrote:
> > Hello Group and Happy Easter,

[...]
> > By the way, OSX is having an embedded text-to-speech, does there is a way to
> > tel Xastir to use ?? Say ?? instead of ?? festival ???
>
> The Xastir source contains a file 'macspeech.c' that adds support for OSX.
> Not having a Mac I don't know if it's compiled automatically,  but it is
> there.
>
> Perhaps one of the regular Mac users can speak up.

The code is there, but it is not compiled in --- there is nothing in autoconf
that detects it, and macspeech.c appears nowhere in any makefile.

That code was added in 2004, and in the commit it states that the author
intended to add "autoconf gunk", but never got around to it.  There have been
no changes in the code base related to that code since 2005 other than
copyright notice updates.  As it stands, it's basically dead code that has
never really been wired into Xastir, and may be broken.

If someone has interest in making it all work, they'd have to add the
appropriate autoconf checks to get it built in.