[Xastir] What happened?

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Sat Aug 26 18:36:40 PDT 2017

I haven't been paying particular attention here, and meanwhile Raspbian
has been upgraded to "Stretch". The auto-build git script from
175moonlight.com (for Wheezy and Jessie) builds fine (once you remove
the "5.1" from the libdb entry - that hasn't been needed for years, on
any platform AFAIK), and all runs perfectly - then I get to choosing
maps - WHAT?? only 2 entries for 'online', a .gov US-centric one and a
.ca Canadian. Do you think you North-Americans are the only Hams doing
APRS? My long-running stable version under 'Jessie" had a goodly
selection, including OSM_tiled (I use the mapnik one), and would dearly
like it/them back. Has there been a block on APRS usage? and if not,
what hoops and hurdles are involved in restoring this
internationally-vital functionality?

And a major fail: closing Xastir down leaves the desktop with no Panel!
i.e. no menu to close my Pi3 down gracefully - crash city, with risk of
Card corruption!

More work required, methinks?

73 de ZL2DEX ...