[Xastir] newbie... problems with compiling from source

Orrin Winton orrin.winton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 12:22:00 PST 2017

Thanks for responses to this. I decided to abandon the track i was on, and
install using
the method at https://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_14.04 under
"Shortcut: Build Script"
namely, run:

 wget http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/ubuntu-xastir-git-build.sh

then:
chmod +x ubuntu-xastir-git-build.sh

then i ran: sudo sh ubuntu-xastir-git-build.sh

which seemed to run to completion after i removed the directory
/src/Xastir left over from

previous attempts. ... Then i rebooted the machine and ran: xastir

It seemed to start to run but i got this:

-------

sansa at sansa-ThinkPad-T400:~$ xastir

Built-in map types:

gnis USGS GNIS Datapoints

pop USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population

map APRSdos Maps

map WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps

pdb PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:

geo Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats allowed)

geo URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)

geo URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library

Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)

shp ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)

tif USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)

xpm X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)

festival_client: connect to server failed

SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.
xbm

----------------

and the program terminated.  I see that it's looking for the directory

/usr/share/xastir/symbols/ but my install has /usr/local/share/xastir/
symbols/

So then i duplicated part of the directory tree, using the syntax

cp -a /source/. /dest/      But i then i found an instruction that said
to change all occurrences of

/usr/share to /usr/local/share in the xastir.cnf file. So i did that.

Now the program seems to run, but i get no graphical display.
/usr/share/xastir/maps/

has worldhi.map. ... The Launcher(?) (the vertical strip of apps on the desktop)

displays the Xastir icon. When i left-click it, the desktop goes kind
of dark and

no graphic xastir display appears. If i right-click it, i get a little menu, but

right or left clicking on any of the entries results in nothing that i can see.

So, from the command line, starting xastir, i get:

-----------

sansa at sansa-ThinkPad-T400:~$ xastir

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4263101696
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:Y out-of-range (too low):4258554496
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):161465600
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:Y out-of-range (too high):101212800
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4263101696
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:Y out-of-range (too low):4258554496
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):161465600
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:Y out-of-range (too high):101212800
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4263101696
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:Y out-of-range (too low):4258554496
convert_from_xastir_coordinates: ...

the above 'convert' messages go on and on, but no graphical display appears.

Thanks for any help getting this going. This is Ubuntu 16.04. I had Xastir

running just fine about 2 weeks ago under 14.04, but i had to reinstall the
OS

for unrelated reasons, and so far no success getting Xastir to run.

Orrin WN1Z

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> It sounds like bootstrap didn't work, because bootstrap is supposed to
>> create
>> configure in the Xastir source tree.  Could you post the output of
>> bootstrap.sh
>> and perhaps the output of "ls -lrt" in the top-level Xastir directory?
>>

> It would probably be good to add a test for "automake", "autoconf", etc
> into the "update-xastir" script to produce legible instructions to the
> user. Could request them to install or otherwise make those tools runnable
> from $PATH...
>
> For people new to compiling, or compiling using GNU tools, I'm sure it's
> confusing. Add to that the complexity of looking through "config.status" to
> figure out why Imagemagick or Graphicsmagick didn't compile in and you've
> got some serious befuddled users.
>
> Not that any of the above has anything directly to do with this thread,
> but it's only a single step sideways from the topic.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
>   "Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math." - unknown
> "Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." - WE7U.
> Coordinate Converter (Android): http://www.sarguydigital.com

"Montanyas kon montanyas no se aserkan; solo personas kon personas."
--Ladino proverb