[Xastir] newbie... problems with compiling from source

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 12:30:45 PST 2017

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, Orrin Winton wrote:

> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

> and the program terminated.  I see that it's looking for the directory
>
> /usr/share/xastir/symbols/ but my install has /usr/local/share/xastir/
> symbols/

> to change all occurrences of
> /usr/share to /usr/local/share in the xastir.cnf file. So i did that.

You're caught between running pre-compiled binaries and running stuff you compiled yourself.

The easiest way is to do this:

     $ mv .xastir .xastir.backup
     $ xastir &

By moving the .xastir directory to another name, Xastir won't see it and will create a fresh one with all the right paths.

You can then compare what you have in the old with the new if there are any special settings you had.

More than likely you're caught in the "where are my maps located?" problem right now. The above should fix that too, but you may have to move maps you've downloaded before to the new directory spot for that before Xastir can re-index them and find them for display.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
"... you can't have 100% security and also then have 100% privacy and zero inconvenience. We are going to have to make some choices as a society." - Barack Obama