[Xastir] Couple of Small Problems, Maybe?

Dale Miller stpatrick2 at twlakes.net
Fri Feb 17 16:03:53 PST 2017

On 2/17/2017 3:18 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
> If a message is sent from me to you, it will have to pass through an internet server since we are on opposite sides on the US. It won't be passed to a FL I-Gate for transmission but only to the I-Gates that have heard you within some period of time (30?).
>
> As far as I know, the above is fact. How this is managed apparently is in question but I don't believe it is a function of the I-Gate. If the I-Gate software handles it, the filter would need to be changed for every station heard on RF.
>
> I understood that APRS-IS manages a 'heard' list for the purpose of supporting the messages. I understood Firenet does not support it. Based on that understanding I would not put up an I-Gate using Firenet but instead use APRS-IS.
>
> But you are saying the server software is identical which is very interesting.
>
> Best regards,
> Fred N7FMH

APRS FireNet is an Internet-based system using the APRS protocol and
much of the same client/server software to provide fire fighting,
earthquake, and weather information in much higher volume and detail
than the traditionalAPRS-IS
<http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=APRS-IS>system is capable of
carrying. It carries the fullAPRS-IS
<http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=APRS-IS>feed PLUS the additional
types of objects listed below. The tie-in between FireNet and APRS-IS
allows station positions and messages to transfer between the systems,
but the special FireNet objects do not get sent toAPRS-IS
<http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=APRS-IS>.

<http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=FireNet>

--
All the Best & 73