[Xastir] Telemetry messages here in St. Louis

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jan 4 09:11:24 PST 2017

Both of those stations are running >APMInn where one is 03 and the other
is 06.  http://aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt shows that this is SQ3PLX and
provides a URL of http://microsat.com.pl/

The telemetry definitions are correctly being sent as APRS messages,
although the frequency of transmitting those definitions is a bit much.
KA0ATT-10 is transmitting them every 15 minutes and N9PBD-15 is once per
hour.  Given that the definitions don't change, I would consider once
per hour to be about the most frequent that I'd ever consider.  I
believe I have them transmit from APRSISCE/32 once per day as a default,
although the user can configure it.

I don't run xastir, but it sounds like it is not catching these
"special" telemetry definition messages, but it treating them as
"normal" APRS messages that the user would want to see as messages. It
would take a source modification to internally process and suppress
these telemetry definitions from the normal APRS message displays.

Question: does xastir also show you NWS messages as APRS messages or are
they internally processed and suppressed from user display?

On 1/4/2017 11:48 AM, Bill Bird wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like the T#016 did not show up as an APRS message.  I
> probably copied that packet off of the aprs.fi website which I used to
> study the various packets.  The two callsigns I am receiving which
> involve telemetry are:  KA0ATT-10, and N9PBD-15.
>
> Bill
> KG0YJ
>
> On 1/4/2017 10:02 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>> The PARM, UNIT, EQNS messages are telemetry definitions, not actual
>> telemetry.
>>
>> Was the T#016 actually sent in an APRS message?  That's actual
>> telemetry and if it is in a message, then it's coming from a
>> non-spec-compliant APRS program.  If you can give us the
>> callsign-SSID or at least the >ToCall, we can find out what software
>> is doing this.

>> On 1/4/2017 10:43 AM, Bill Bird wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Xastir Version 2.0.9 here in the St. Louis, MO vicinity.
>>> I am connected to both rf and the internet.  On the internet I use a
>>> filter of r/38/-90/200.  I like to view the map, the incoming packets,
>>> and messages so I normally have three windows open on one monitor.
>>>
>>> There a couple of stations that send telemetry data from their station
>>> to their station as a message.  This series of messages is usually
>>> about four in a sequence and happens a few times each hour. One
>>> station uses rf and the other uses TCPIP for their telemetry. I would
>>> prefer to not see these messages in my messages window as they tend to
>>> fill the message window and not allow me to see the few actual APRS
>>> user messages unless I scroll.
>>>
>>> In the past I have eliminated the telemetry messages by using Xastir
>>> to limit my viewing of messages to a fourteen mile radius - but I
>>> don't like to do that as I miss many other actual local messages
>>> between various hams.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to filter out messages from these two stations that are
>>> sending telemetry data to their own callsign?
>>>
>>> Why are these two stations sending "site operational data" to
>>> themselves via APRS.  Is this proper use?
>>>
>>> Here is some of the data being sent.  I am leaving out callsigns.
>>>
>>> PARM.Vin,Rx1h,Dg1h,Eff1h,Temp,O1,O2,O3,O4,I1,I2,I3,I4
>>> UNIT.Volt,Pkt,Pkt,Pcnt,F,On,On,On,On,Hi,Hi,Hi,Hi
>>> EQNS.0,0.075,0,0,10,0,0,10,0,0,1,0,0,0.9,-83.2
>>> T#062,164,107,011,076,128,00000000
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bill
>>> KG0YJ