[Xastir] Device 0 errors with Xastir-Pi

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 27 17:32:46 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 06:29:59PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <aprs.aa5sg at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I opened a terminal, ran top, and saw a single instance at the top. When I closed Xastir on my desktop, it no longer appeared in top. When I reopened Xastir from the desktop, there was again only the single instance. Thanks for the input!

But, does it still get the errors?  Or did this actually fix everything?

Can you see that the actual serial port your Device 0 is connecting to is
actually present in /dev/?  Can you connect to that device with some other
program (e.g. miniterm or something of that ilk) and see data being delivered
(even though it's just KISS and won't be readable, you should at least see
something).

Unfortunatly, Xastir's "ERROR" indicator on Device 0 doesn't really
provide any information that helps debug other than to tell you that
Xastir couldn't connect to the device for some reason.  So you'll have to
dig deeper to figure out what is up with your system that makes it unable
to connect.  Starting with a simpler program would be a step in that
direction.