[Xastir] Reload Config in Xastir

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:00:57 PDT 2017

On Mon, 1 May 2017, Andrew Northam wrote:

> I am looking for some sort of script that will force Xastir to reload its config file? I was thinking of just killing Xastir every x minutes and relaunching it...

I can't think of a type of script which would cause Xastir to reload its config file. However you can send it a "SIGHUP" which will cause it to shut down and then restart again.

     SIGHUP      Shut down/restart
     SIGUSR1     Take a snapshot
     SIGUSR2     Transmit now

> I have a temperature sensor, and I want to write the shack temperature into the comments of the config file,  then launch, so the beacon transmitted at startup has the temperature (and maybe more) in it.

Perhaps a better method: Set up a script to call "xastir_udp_client" with the packet you want to send. "xastir_udp_client" will send a UDP packet to Xastir which can then transmit it.

   // Send a UDP packet to a UDP listening port.  This allows scripts
   // and other programs to inject packets into Xastir via UDP
   // protocol.
   // Inputs:
   //      hostname    (argv[1])
   //      port        (argv[2])
   //      callsign    (argv[3])
   //      passcode    (argv[4])
   //      optional flags:  -identify
   //                       -to_rf
   //                       -to_inet
   //      APRS Packet (argv[5])
   // Returns:
   //      0: Message sent, ack received
   //      1: Error condition

You'll need to turn on "server ports" in Xastir to have it catch these packets.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
   "Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math." - unknown