[Xastir] Mac Installation Questions

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Sat Nov 25 07:28:34 PST 2017

It’s been a long time since I tried to install Xastir on a Mac. In recent years I’ve primarily run it from a Raspberry Pi. I’ve done that both using apt-get as well as from source. I forget how I got the source because today is the first time I’ve played with git. My hair is melting from butting heads with this stuff, so I’m reaching out for help.

I’ve battled many stumbling blocks to get here, and any one of them might have set me up for the failure I’m seeing now. I’ve gotten Xastir to run but it immediately throws and error and dies. It gives this error:
> Built-in map types:
>       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
>        pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
>        map   APRSdos Maps
>        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
>        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
>        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
>        geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
>                   Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
>        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
>        xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
> Error: Unresolved inheritance operation

The last line tells me it had a fatal error, but gives me no clue as to the cause. I tried to set a higher debug level and got this:
> debug level 9
> Found pid file: /Users/chip/.xastir/xastir.pid
> Other Xastir process, pid: 4162 does not appear be running.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know that Mac (FreeBSD) does things differently than some other Unix systems. Some of these differences lead to a frustrating time for those of us trying to follow generic instructions.

--
    Chip