[Xastir] on Android

VA7OTC John Erskine va7otc at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 12 17:33:24 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-12 1136, Kurt wrote:
> Ok,
>    I can get the Android taskbar or whatever to come up by flicking my finger up on the lower border of the screen.  When I have the system running and I want to close the LXDE windows, exiting outdoes nothing.  The screen comes up I hit shut down and it doesn't close.  I pull up the "square" to minimize and kill it there.  I then go to the upper left Android pulldown and expose it and it showsXSDL running and I kill it there too.  GNU/Root I pull it up and hit return.  To get out of GNU/Root completely, one has to click on the X in the upper right of the GNU/Root upper taskboard to kill it.
snips
> Kurt KC9LDH-3

This is all pretty amazing. I'm reading with interest as I recently
picked up an 8" LG G Pad III (has LTE/3G & GPS and two USB ports) with
the idea of more usable screen space than my Nexus 5x phone.

I'm nowhere near being able to launch in to following this path, however
the reading of it is most interesting.

What I can say is, seemingly many Android apps:

don't have a Close function,
just won't close,
may still be running even if "closed".
and so on.

One argument I've read is that there is this skookum power/app
management capability in the OS - so, "it doesn't matter." Excuse me?

However nothing of what you're describing there sounds elegant or
functional.

When desperate I choose Settings (flick the main window down a couple of
times to expose the Cog Wheel on the or pull up All Apps on the phone,
or swipe to the main window on the tablet), view Apps and chose a Forced
Shutdown. Following bitter complaints and warnings I get more or less
what I desire.

Cheers, John VA7OTC