[Xastir] on Android

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 12 11:36:04 PDT 2017

Ok,
  I can get the Android taskbar or whatever to come up by flicking my finger up on the lower border of the screen.  When I have the system running and I want to close the LXDE windows, exiting outdoes nothing.  The screen comes up I hit shut down and it doesn't close.  I pull up the "square" to minimize and kill it there.  I then go to the upper left Android pulldown and expose it and it showsXSDL running and I kill it there too.  GNU/Root I pull it up and hit return.  To get out of GNU/Root completely, one has to click on the X in the upper right of the GNU/Root upper taskboard to kill it.
What I've done is make sure my B/T mouse and keyboard are paired in Android, fire up GPS Share and minimize it.  I start XSDL and when you get the XSDL wallpaper screen, you can click on itand it will go into a setup mode for peripherals and such.  There is a pile of stuff that can be selected here.  I used what I thought would be good with a B/T mouse and keyboard.  You can play with it by trial and error and see if you can get the onscreen keyboard to come up and setup "mouse" control with screen touches.  I figured being a neophyte using the peripheral input devices would be the quickest for me to get working with it and experiment.
Once you save your selections it will go to the black text screen and start the 3... 2... 1... count to a boot state.  If you tap on the screen while the count is going on, it will default to a screen where you can select resolutions, type sizes (I use .7 for the font) and some other stuff.  Click out of there and minimize the screen with the "square" and "circle" buttons on the Android lower taskbar (try to get that triangle/circle/square bar to come up as I find it important).
Now click on GNU/Root icon to get it going.  Input the commands: export DISPLAY=:0 PULSE_SERVER=tcp:127.0.0.1:4712startlxde &and now I hit the square to get the minimized apps to be displayed in the small square "choice" screens and then I hit the XSDL "Blue", I call it the standby screen and then LXDE will come up.   Like I said I use just the LXDE-core as I found a lot of the apps didn't work on the "full install" so I want the bare minimum to get Xastir going.  I just apt-get installed Xastirwhich was the 2.04 version and I hit run from the xwindow menu and type xastir.  Maybe I'll figure out how to get it on the desktop as an icon.
I configured a network IS connection from the menu pulldown and as long as the device is connected to the internet it works right off.  If GPS Share is running on the Android side as a gpsd sourceone can setup a gpsd connection in Xastir and wowee, I got it going without knowing what I am doing.
Dink with it.  Once you get the hang of it, it runs rock steady.  I'm still trying to shut off the screen saver.  I have it shut off in LXDE but it still comes up.
Next is loading my local maps and then see if I can get a Mobilnkd or my NMEA B/T devices visible.  If that can be done, Holee Cow!!  Kurt KC9LDH-3