[Xastir] on Android

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 07:41:18 PDT 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Kurt wrote:

> Ok,   I had loaded GPS Share on my Android device quite some time ago and this script kiddie took a few minutes to set it up and then configure Xastir-On-Android to use gpsd and by golly, using localhost and the stock2947 address, IT'S GOING!!  YEEEEE HAAAA. Feeding right off the internal GPS chipset of the Nexus 7 2013 LTE Done!!

Did you have to go to the ShareGPS settings and enable NMEA sentences to get the GPS to work for Xastir?

> If THAT works only thing left will be perhaps tweaking the icon and font sizes a bit.  I lowered the resolution in the XSDL serverin the setup screen and that helps a bit.

What resolution are you running now?

> Ok, I get the lat/long with gpsd and GPS share but I'm not seeing my msl altitude of my station going out.Gpsd limitation or did I not have a switch selected? I see altitudes of incoming stations that are sending themto the screen though.

I'm updating the Wiki page as things are discovered. Here's the GPSD protocol, which includes altitude:

     http://www.catb.org/gpsd/gpsd_json.html

I installed all three apps on the Nexus 7 and just installed on the Nexus 5x phone last night. Haven't tried bringing it up on the phone yet as it was still busy installing packages when I went to sleep.

Sometimes I'm having trouble killing GNUroot. Any pointers? Tried "exit" in the terminal window this morning and it didn't, so I rebooted the phone. That did it. Most of the time typing exit there works.

I was having trouble initially shrinking the XServer from full-screen as well, but sliding my finger from the edge of the device over the edge where the three Android icons should be makes them show up, then I can shrink it, get to the notification bar, and shut it down from there.

Had trouble once starting up Xastir: Couldn't get the Android keyboard to come up in the xterm. I tried starting Xastir from the GNUroot window but it couldn't find the display. Maybe I forgot to set the DISPLAY variable. I'll get the magic invocations down eventually.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/aprs_capabilities.html