[Xastir] on Android what I have so far works

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 14 12:18:26 PDT 2017

What I have is Xastir on three Android devices:  Nexus 7 2012 3G, Nexus 7 2013 LTE and a Blu Studio G Plus $49.00 special with 8Gb of memory.  The N7 2012 I can run without the B/T KB and mouse.  The N7 2013 am still diddling with the controls so I don't have to use a B/T keyboard or B/T mouse and the Blu Phone I can't get the native keyboard up yet with GNU/Root.
I got the old Cloudmade maps from 2009 in my N 7 2012 and it was easy.  GNU/Root recognized my OTG memory stick!I don't know if the fact that all these devices are rooted makes a difference but they are.
One has to diddle with the setup screens in XSDL and I'm still working with finger "mouse" control and getting an onscreen keyboard up when I want it to.  When you get the 3...2...1 count, tap before it gets to zero and mess with the resolutions and font sizes.  There is a happy medium there where Xastir is the right size and all the menu windows type size is where you want them to be.  I find I had to diddle with the font size, .7, .6, .5, 1 etc. to get the menus screens the way I want them and the resolution, 800X600, 720X480, 1280X960 etc. to get the Xastir display a nice readable size.
Bottom line is you can connect a B/T keyboard and mouse and they will help you at least work with it right off the bat.
My Blu Phone is down to 750mb left and is stuck at Android 5.  No custom ROM here.  I'm going to try to see if I can link the Xastir  "/maps" directory to the directory on my 64Gb micro SD card on my phone where I have the Cloudmadeand some geotiffs stored.  Been awhile since I did some commandline stuff.
As it stands, it runs perfectly fine like APRSDroid on an Android phone that is connected to the internet via the 3G or LTE  phone network (or WiFi).  Thing is, I like Xastir better than "A"Droid! :-)  Yeee haaaa!
I put an email in to the GNU/Root creator but it might be he doesn't monitor a gmail account much.  I tried to make my question quick and concise about pairing/using other B/T devices.
Kurt KC9LDH