[Xastir] on Android

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 11:24:28 PDT 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, VA7OTC John Erskine wrote:

> On 2017-09-12 1136, Kurt wrote:
>> Ok,
>>    I can get the Android taskbar or whatever to come up by flicking my
>> finger up on the lower border of the screen.  When I have the system
>> running and I want to close the LXDE windows, exiting outdoes nothing.  The
>> screen comes up I hit shut down and it doesn't close.  I pull up the
>> "square" to minimize and kill it there.  I then go to the upper left
>> Android pulldown and expose it and it showsXSDL running and I kill it there
>> too.  GNU/Root I pull it up and hit return.  To get out of GNU/Root
>> completely, one has to click on the X in the upper right of the GNU/Root
>> upper taskboard to kill it.
> snips
>> Kurt KC9LDH-3
>
> This is all pretty amazing. I'm reading with interest as I recently picked up
> an 8" LG G Pad III (has LTE/3G & GPS and two USB ports) with the idea of more
> usable screen space than my Nexus 5x phone.
>
> I'm nowhere near being able to launch in to following this path, however the
> reading of it is most interesting.
>
> What I can say is, seemingly many Android apps:
>
> don't have a Close function,
> just won't close,
> may still be running even if "closed".
> and so on.
>
> One argument I've read is that there is this skookum power/app management
> capability in the OS - so, "it doesn't matter." Excuse me?
>
> However nothing of what you're describing there sounds elegant or functional.

I'm not sure that's the point; Or it may be for Kurt but not for me. I'm interested in the possibility of running it and want to document how in case others want to play. As to whether I would choose it over one of the three other Android APRS apps I have loaded on my phone: No, I probably wouldn't. It may be useful to me as an aid if/when I'm giing more talks on APRS or Xastir, but on my tablet in that case.

I'm actually not all that happy with any of the APRS apps I have on my phone. I may soon dump most of them and write my own. I have very specific operational characteristics that I want.

> When desperate I choose Settings (flick the main window down a couple of
> times to expose the Cog Wheel on the or pull up All Apps on the phone, or
> swipe to the main window on the tablet), view Apps and chose a Forced
> Shutdown. Following bitter complaints and warnings I get more or less what I
> desire.

I imagine I'll get better at starting/exiting the app, or may be able to automate it with Tasker if I play with it a lot more.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/aprs_capabilities.html