[Xastir] Gating weather data to RF

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 28 08:16:03 PDT 2018

If you've registered for CWOP... and for that matter if you haven't
registered yet... send your data into either the APRS-IS or to CWOP servers
directly. Gating them to RF is also reasonable, assuming you, unlike my
last location have folks who don't mind seeing weather packets show up
on-air.

To get info on joining CWOP, go to http://wxqa.com/SIGN-UP.html and follow
the instructions for ham operators. You can connect to your local Tier2
server, rotate.aprs2.net (Tier2 round-robin DNS), or rotate.aprs.net, the
APRS Core server round-robin.

Gerry

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, Alejandro Arroyo wrote:
>
> I have a station running xastir for several years now (HP1COO). I also have
>> a weather station (not APRS compatible) that sends data using my callsign
>> (HP1COO-13) to CWOP. This data is visible on aprs.fi.
>>
>> Is there a way to configure xastir to forward the weather data from this
>> station to RF? I only want to forward to RF metereological data of the
>> area. I read this might be done configuring the file nws-stations.txt ?
>>

> If you do a grep for "nws-stations.txt" in the Xastir main directory
> you'll find info in ChangeLog and README about it. That might lead you to
> read a bit more igate.h/igate.c as well, depending on how curious you get
> and what you want to do.
>
> If the packet is already gated to APRS-IS (sounds like it's not) then with
> the correct entries in that file Xastir may be able to gate them to RF.
>
> Since you're sending them only to CWOP right now, it may not be possible.
>
> Others may be able to answer whether you can (or should) connect to
> APRS-IS -and- CWOP with Xastir at the same time. If that's a reasonable
> thing to do, then you might be able to gate them to RF using this method.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
> Windows ate my homework!
> Coordinate Converter (Android): http://www.sarguydigital.com