[Xastir] Local OSM tile server

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Sat Dec 22 09:40:07 PST 2018

On 12/21/2018 10:21 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
> The next thing to try is to import an adjacent state into the same
> database. Individual states don't seem to be taking up a ton of disk space.
> Overall this is a great portable offline map solution, but it does take
> some work.

In my experience, osm2pgsql only likes importing to a clean database or
applying updates.  It doesn't like 2 full imports coming into a single
DB.  But if you work out how to get this to work, I'll be all ears
(eyes) to learn something new!

And are you applying updates, and if so, where did you find instructions
on how to prune the update files to cover only your area of interest?

I run (ran, it's down at the moment) a full planet OSM tile server in a
ubuntu VM under Windoze.  I fed it 4 spinning disks in a JBOD array for
the tile storage and another 4 SSDs in a JBOD array for the database and
node file.  It ran acceptably well, provided that the tile demand was
low and slow.  I use(d) it as the primary tile server for development
the APRSISCE/32/MO clients so I wouldn't hit the main servers if I did
something stupid.