[Xastir] Local OSM tile server

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:00:37 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <KJ4ERJ at arrl.net>
wrote:

> On 12/21/2018 10:21 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
> > The next thing to try is to import an adjacent state into the same
> > database. Individual states don't seem to be taking up a ton of disk
> space.
> > Overall this is a great portable offline map solution, but it does take
> > some work.
>
> In my experience, osm2pgsql only likes importing to a clean database or
> applying updates.  It doesn't like 2 full imports coming into a single
> DB.  But if you work out how to get this to work, I'll be all ears
> (eyes) to learn something new!

I was afraid I would encounter issues importing another file into the same
database - have not attempted it yet.  I'm certainly willing to share any
info if fortunate enough to get things to work.

> And are you applying updates, and if so, where did you find instructions
> on how to prune the update files to cover only your area of interest?

I've read that updates are supported, but I haven't looked into that aspect
yet.  The thought had crossed my mind that there may be issues with only
needing updates for a small area such as one state. The up side of a small
area is that it's probably not a huge deal to configure a new DB and
re-import the state file again.  I may look into scripting that process.

> I run (ran, it's down at the moment) a full planet OSM tile server in a
> ubuntu VM under Windoze.  I fed it 4 spinning disks in a JBOD array for
> the tile storage and another 4 SSDs in a JBOD array for the database and
> node file.  It ran acceptably well, provided that the tile demand was
> low and slow.  I use(d) it as the primary tile server for development
> the APRSISCE/32/MO clients so I wouldn't hit the main servers if I did
> something stupid.

Speaking of APRSISCE/32, if I were to set it up in Wine on the same laptop
it should be able to access the local OSM tile server as well.

Lee - K5DAT

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>