[Xastir] Local OSM tile server

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 09:40:52 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Brian Heaton <geekdownrange at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I built a local OSM tile server a couple years ago, I found that
> moving to an SSD improved performance by an order of magnitude. The system
> was definitely IO bound by the disk random access time for reads.
>

> 73-KY9K/Brian
>
> There's a lot of I/O bound stuff already there, though, without the web
server component.  After downloading tiles there's a "reading tiles" phase
that can take some time.  I would expect a significant improvement using a
SSD regardless of where the web server resides (and also for reading
offline maps such as geotiff's).  There is a computational component using
a local web server because as I understand it Mapknik renders tiles on the
fly based on the info in the database. I don't know how significant the
computational load is, however.

In an ideal world it would be nice to get rid of the web server piece and
have Xastir call Mapnik, etc. to render the tiles.  Xastir already knows
how to read the tiles and apply them.  The documentation on Mapnik could be
better.  It seems the "OSM World" assumes the only thing anyone would want
to do after importing their data into a database is serve it up on a web
server, so everything is tailored to that.

Lee - K5DAT

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>