[Xastir] Local OSM tile server

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 05:58:52 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Brian Heaton <geekdownrange at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I built a local OSM tile server a couple years ago, I found that
> moving to an SSD improved performance by an order of magnitude.

Thanks for the info guys.  I guessed it would be IO bound (mostly on the
initial database read), but I don't know how complex the rendering
operation is.

If you had plenty of RAM you might squeeze some improvements out of the
system by using a ramdisk for the mod_tile/renderd cache storage just to
see the same tile from hitting the disk multiple times during
render/apache/xastir steps.

Since xastir is already smart enough to cache it would be awesome if xastir
could hit mapnik directly.

-Jason
kg4wsv