[Xastir] AX 25 networking kernel warnings --- heads up all AX.25 users Re: Error in Syslog

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:58:03 PST 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:31 AM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

>  If you're doing more complex stuff like NETROM, FLEX, routing
> AX.25 packets to AMPR IP-IP networks, etc, it gives you a LOT of flexible
> and powerful options.

To expand a bit on David's comments:

The kernel implementation allows AX.25 to be used as a general purpose
network, integrated with other network stacks. Once popular model of
network communications breaks a network down into 7 layers:

7: Application
6: Presentation
5: Session
4: Transport
3: Network
2: Data Link
1: Physical

The internet is an IP network, so layers 4 and 3 are TCP/IP (or
UDP/IP).  Most local networks use ethernet for layer 2, and RF or CAT5
for layer 1. With an appropriate kernel implementation, we can create
an AX.25 network link that can move IP data
_with_no_change_to_the_application_ by using AX.25 for layer 2 and RF
for layer 1.

without this kernel support, AX.25 becomes just another application.

-Jason
kg4wsv