[Xastir] Autostart Xastir

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 07:21:41 PST 2018

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:38 AM, Tom Henderson <Tom at henderson4.us> wrote:
>> Correction: based on time *or system startup.* Which is why it might be a
>> good fit here. As Curt pointed out, the @reboot keyword can be used.
>
> That still fails to address the issue of X11 security and access to the server.
>
> Plus it adds the additional problem that cron starts early in the boot
> process, so it could easily be executing your commands _before_ the
> window manager is started. (As a side note, I suspect this hack of
> cron is a workaround for the travesty that is systemd.)

Agreed on the above. I sent my note about "@reboot" prior to reading the rest of the thread.

When I was setting up an Rpi to auto-start things I relied on the window manager features for it rather than CRON.

On multiple Ubuntu boxes at work I use the "@reboot" feature of crond to run scripts for setting up GPIB, stuff like that.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
Closed-minded about open (-source)...