[Xastir] Autostart Xastir

Jason Godfrey godfreja at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 08:04:56 PST 2018

If you are using Raspian (or another systemd based distro) using systemd
might be a good way to do it. See
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/usage/systemd.md

- Jason

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:38 AM, Tom Henderson <Tom at henderson4.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Correction: based on time *or system startup.* Which is why it might be a
>>> good fit here. As Curt pointed out, the @reboot keyword can be used.
>>>

>> That still fails to address the issue of X11 security and access to the
>> server.
>>
>> Plus it adds the additional problem that cron starts early in the boot
>> process, so it could easily be executing your commands _before_ the
>> window manager is started. (As a side note, I suspect this hack of
>> cron is a workaround for the travesty that is systemd.)
>>

> Agreed on the above. I sent my note about "@reboot" prior to reading the
> rest of the thread.
>
> When I was setting up an Rpi to auto-start things I relied on the window
> manager features for it rather than CRON.
>
> On multiple Ubuntu boxes at work I use the "@reboot" feature of crond to
> run scripts for setting up GPIB, stuff like that.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
> Closed-minded about open (-source)...
> Coordinate Converter (Android): http://www.sarguydigital.com

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to
verify their authenticity." - *Abraham Lincoln*