[Xastir] Xastir crashing lxde desktop

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 24 16:49:24 PST 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 04:32:48PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg7gcf at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Thanks Tom,
>
> You've given me some ideas and that is a whole lot better than what I had.
>  Do have VNC and SSH enabled and running the behavior is similar to what
> you pointed out.  There's a lot here that I don't understand .  Thanks for
> the input.  Thank you again for the work on git.  The build was flawless as
> near as I can tell.
>
> Well thought I'd report that I disabled both ssh and vnc, rebooted, fired
> up direwolf and festival, then launched xastir.

Is this using a locally connected monitor, then?

> The same outcome as with
> both those services enabled, the lxde desktop panel disappeared and the
> three windows with direwolf, festival, and xastir continued and the xastir
> window continued.  It all seemed to be working but I'd lost the lxde panel
> with it's application launcher, menu, etc.

Hmmmm.

> If any more thoughts or info come your way about this odd behavior I hope
> you drop me a line.

No more thoughts, but if you google with the search text "raspbian vnc bug lxde"
and "raspberry pi taskbar missing" you'll find lots of hits, some of which are
so old the solutions they propose are suspect, but some very recent (a few
months old).  There is one report:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=191765

that the initial release of Raspbian Stretch had the bug but it got fixed (so
an "apt-get update/apt-get upgrade" would fix it.  But you're running a
different OS, so this might not be relevant.

There's also this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=148030&p=974857

and this:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/9395/i-accidently-deleted-my-taskbar-how-do-i-get-it-back

that may have *something* for you to try.  The number of low-quality answers
on some of those threads (and some of their ages) make me wary of just trying
what they say, though.

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM