[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 529, Issue 1

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jul 22 18:23:11 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 08:28:07PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <domwrx at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> To answer everyone's questions:
>
> *Steve - *When I run Xastir in the terminal, it states "Support for these
> additional map types has been compiled in:" and then a list including "geo
> Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick Library, many formats allowed), geo
> URL (Internet maps via libcurl library), geo URL (Open StreetMaps via
> libcurl library), and other types are listed. So, it appears it is compiled
> in.
>

> *Tom -*
>
> I installed the latest revision as was recommended on the Wiki page, and
> followed the steps exactly. So, yes installed from source.
>
> When I CD into Xastir/Xastir-master, I find no directory or file that is
> Xastir/OSMtiles/mapnik. with the ls command I can only find:
> README.OSM_maps and OSM_template.

I didn't say "cd to Xastir/Xastir-master", though.  I said:

 - cd into .xastir/OSMtiles/mapnik and use "ls -lrt" to find the
   directory that has changed most recently.  cd into that directory.

~/.xastir is where Xastir stores files as it runs.  ~/xastir/OSMtiles is
where it caches the OSM tiles as it downloads them.  Each directory in there
is the cache for a specific tile server, and the subdirectories of those
are for different areas for that tile server.

Go look in there and find the most recent PNG and see if it displays properly
outside of Xastir.  If it does, then Xastir is the culprit, not the download.

> *The help about section states:*
>
> Xastir v2.1.0
> Compiled: Wed Feb 14 5:14:38 UTC 2018
>
> Libraries used: AX25 Festival GraphicsMagick libProj GeoTiff GDAL/OGR
> ShapeLib PCRE Dbfawk map_caching rtree libcurl1
>

> @(#) Motif Version 2.3.8
> GraphicsMagick 1.3.28 2018-01-20 Q16 http://www.graphicsMagick.org/
> xvertex routines Copyright (c) 1993 Alan Richardson, Version 5.00

Hmm.  That looks right, and is the same graphicsmagick version I have.

> I am now at version 2.1.1 Compiled 7-22-18 (80b3bf1f) and have the same
> issue.

This may be a chore to debug, since that version of Xastir and GraphicsMagick
are known to display OSM_tiled_mapnik on other systems.  You might try turning
on map debugging by setting debug level to 16 and observing the console output
as it tries to render map tiles to see if there are any messages on the
console that might pertain to what's going on here.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM