[Xastir] upgrade

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun May 6 14:12:18 PDT 2018

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 09:52:48AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <chris at hollahan.net> flavor, containing:
> Right now I am running Ubuntu on a RasPi 2 with Xastir 2.0.6. What is the best way to update to the latest version, uninstall and get latest from Git, or is there an update script I can run?

If you've installed from a binary package from Ubuntu, yeah, the best you can
do is uninstall and recompile from Git.  There is no upgrade path
from binary installs to source installs --- they install to different places
(binary packages usually install to /usr, source usually installs to
/usr/local).

You will also have to modify all your config files to make them point at
/usr/local instead of /usr.  There are tons of paths in the files
in .xastir/config that have paths to things like maps and setup files that
you'll need to update.  If you've got a lot of custom configuration and maps
already, you'll want to edit those config files.  If you DON'T have a lot of
configuration set up already, the easiest thing to do is just rename .xastir
to something else, and let your new xastir install create a new .xastir
directory and start over with your set-up.

There's a script that can keep you up-to-date with git once you've got a source
install, but it really amounts to little more than:

  git pull
  ./bootstrap.sh
  mkdir -p build
  cd build
  ../configure
  make
  sudo make install

so it is not even flexible enough to deal with all versions of linux, so I
generally suggest that you just follow the system-specific install instructions
on the wiki.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM