[Xastir] Xastir On Android experience

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 7 11:20:18 PDT 2018

In light of a quest of finding a "Linux on Android" that allows full use of Xastir with peripheralsI went ahead and put Linux Deploy on a Nexus 7 2013 (Flo and Deb) with kernels 7.1.2 alongwith the other requirements Busy Box, VNC, SU, Terminal emulator etc. Used this guide:
"link"://www.pantomath.xyz/install-kali-linux-android-complete-quide/(Remove quotes and "link" and replace with https)
People are ticked because it's just a "base" but up to date Kali image without the "intrusion" goodies but I was just interested in a version that might stand a chanceof accessing Bluetooth devices on the Android side.  Bad news is that even Kali on Android can't do that trick.A few folks on the LD Git-hub have mentioned writing code and acheiving it but it's toorough for "script kiddies" (my term not theirs as I am an S.K. myself)  So me thinksbuilt in access to blue tooth with "Linux on Android" isn't there yet.
Nonetheless, I had Linux Deploy format an 8Gb image for the Kali install and it indeed pulled off the installation of the container.  Was a learning curve getting VNC (to get the gui up) and Juice ssh (for a simple terminal line) but got it done.
I fired up the gui for Kali after I got the screen size and fonts to my liking and pulled up a terminal.  I followed the instructions for building Xastir on Ubuntu and by golly, it works.
There are various flavors of Linux available with Linux Deploy but it's still a work in progress.
I couldn't get it to work with two Nexus 6p's rooted one with SU/CF-Auto root and one with Magisk using an Oreo 8.1 kernel through FireHound 4.5 (love that ROM).  Makesthe 8Gb image file but fails to set it up or download a linux distro.  I have to admit,the small screen size on a phone makes it rough.  I had it going in a rooted Blu phonebut ditched it.  The tablet size is easier to see.  The Blu phone had a 64gb memory card.
Linux Deploy fails on a Nexus 7 2012 too unless one uses the outdated 1.0 Kali image file from Sourceforge.  But then, I couldn't update that version from the commandline.apt-get queries the kali archive but says it can't find anything.
Actually GnuRoot Debian and the LXDE server works fine on the Nexus 7 2012 with Xastir though I didn't try to build Xastir and used a pre-compiled 2.0.5 (I believe it was4 or 5).  Works pretty well albeit a bit slower than the N7 2013.  Still very usable though.
I confess I'm a "weirdo" as I like to mix the online maps on top of the old 2006 Tiger maps I downloaded (over a 28.8 modem mind you) years ago of surrounding states.  Took days to acquire.
Sooooooooooooooooooo,  It's possible to get Xastir on a different flavor of Linux with "Linux on Android" using Linux Deploy. Better stick with a 7.1 ROM.   Yeah, just APRS-IS but works.  Can even use "Share GPS" and access the Android's onboard GPS by using gpsd as told tome by users in this Xastir group!!  Kurt KC9LDH