[Xastir] Help with Maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue May 8 17:05:26 PDT 2018

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2018, Joseph Chiarelli wrote:
>
> I didn?t realize that ?Online? selects everything. As you both suspected,
>> it was the mapquest-aerial and mapquest ones giving the issue.

​I'm fairly sure the Mapquest choice was removed a while back, so either
you're running an older version of Xastir, or it's a leftover from an
earlier version.  Upgrading doesn't necessarily remove old map choices.​

>> Playing further, i think i need to go with the Offline maps. I thought it
>> saved the online maps to cache, but it seems to download the tiles
>> everytime i move the map around.
>>

> Well... Kind'a. Try using the arrow keys to move around and picking
> particular zoom levels using the pageup/pagedown keys and you'll stick to
> tiles you've downloaded before. If you deviate from that the map caching
> gets lost and tries to pull in new ones.

​Exactly - it does cache maps, but each time you move the map around you're
entering an area where it doesn't have some of the tiles it needs to fill
the entire screen.​