[Xastir] Any ideas for Xastir

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:52:43 PDT 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018, F1MHV wrote:

>>> 2- Message timer
>>> Other stations, digi or igate, are sometimes slow to react facing Xastir which retry a message quickly after the first sent. I noticed this "aggressive" behavior especially with slow links (300bds HF).
>>> Can we imagine an adjustable timer for this parameter ?
>>> Because it looks progressive when retries are growing (APRS specs ?), 3 steps could be possible :
>>> - quite
>>> - normal
>>> - aggressive

In src/messages.c I found this:

     // Start at 7 seconds for the interval.  We set
     // it to 7 seconds in output_message() above.
     // Double the interval each retry until we hit
     // 10 minutes.  Keep transmitting at 10 minute
     // intervals until we hit MAX_TRIES.

     // Double the interval between messages
     message_pool[i].next_time = message_pool[i].next_time * 2;

The "next_time" value is the number of seconds we add to the current time before retrying.

It is initially set to 7l (that's an 'L'), plus there's a reset command that can get the message kick-started again by kicking off an immediate transmit and again setting next_time to 7l (that's an 'L').

As a quick fix you could go in and change the "7l" to something larger if you want to slow things down for 300 baud HF stuff. Of course recompile/reinstall afterwards.

Search for:
     messages.c:kick_outgoing_timer()
     messages.c:output_message()

If you're interested in messing with the max time between retries of 10 minutes, just search for "next_time" in messages.c and you'll find that too.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
Coordinate Converter (Android): http://www.sarguydigital.com