[Xastir] Weather Stations

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 6 12:56:09 PST 2018

Dj

For the sake of experimentation, change your server to cwop.aprs.net and
let's see if the Core servers are getting the data. rotate.aprs2.net should
work; so should rotate.aprs.net.

Tier2 (rotate.aprs2.net) should share all its data with the Core (
rotate.aprs.net) and vice versa.the CWOP servers share amongst themselves,
and harvest the Core APRS servers solely for weather packets.

I don't have any aggregation service running on the core right now; that's
on my list for "spare time enhancements". I am wondering if something
you're doing is sending a non-weather packet out, but WeeWx tends to do a
pretty good job, as I see a fair number of them out there.

I'm still on the Xastir list primarily for historical purposes: I was a
long-time user but right now, my interests look a lot like "other things".
I do still manage the Core and CWOP servers, and as a linux wonk, Xastir's
been my favorite APRS client for a long time.

I'm not current on how-to's for weather stations, but your choice, because
it's fairly new, isn't as likely to be in there.Ambient has made weather
products for the consumer for a long time, but has only a "relatively" new
effort in automated weather stations. I guess I could disassemble my wife's
and see what the protocol looks like, then try to  hack it into WeeWx? Or,
is it natively supported?

gerry

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS