[Xastir] kiss off command to restore your tnc back to command mode

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Oct 19 08:20:24 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 08:15:11AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello Jaye,
>
> Have you read:
>
>     https://xastir.org/index.php/Serial_KISS_TNC
>
>     and
>
>     http://xastir.org/index.php/XASTIR_Manual#TNC_interface
>

> Per the first URL, it seems like doing a KISS off within Xastir might
> not be (natively) available.  I also see conflicting details say in the
> various shutdown scripts in /usr/share/xastir/config/ or
> /usr/local/share/xastir/config file using the META command but it's not
> clear if it can work.  You do have a few options:
>
>     1. You *don't* have to run the TNC in KISS mode if you don't want to
> so the TNC is always in COMMAND mode.

This is the approach I would take.  The KPC-3+ has Issues in KISS mode that
are related to how it does flow control, and unless you are careful to work
around those it's a poor choice as a KISS TNC.  But it works fine in command
mode, and there are already appropriate startup scripts for using it that
way in the config directory.

>     2. If you still want to run your TNC in KISS mode when Xastir is
> running, you need to send the KISS exit command which is intentionally
> complicated but it's essentially sending the ASCII string (without the
> commas):
>
>         192,255,192
>
>       I have examples of how to do this here:
>
>           KPC3 Perl script:
> http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/local/bin/
>
>           D710 binary:
> http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/local/sbin/
>           sources:
> http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/misc/D710/tmd710_tncsetup.c

There is also a script in the Xastir scripts collection called "kiss-off.pl"
that will send the appropriate string to the TNC to take it out of KISS mode.
It's been there since 2004.

You just run it and redirect its standard out to the device.  An example
of running it is in its comments.

> If it's not possible to sent that KISS off string via the Xastir
> shutdown script, consider starting Xastir with a wrapping script. In
> that script, just do:
>
>     start xasitr
>     when xastir exits, run a modified shutdown tool from above that's
> modified for your needs
>     exit

> On 10/18/2018 09:26 PM, MJ Inabnit wrote:
> > Learned a lot over the last two evenings.  First, I am adding this
> > attachment so other newbies might find far less pain getting their
> > Kantronics TNC's back into command mode following a kiss session WITHOUT
> > HARD RESET!  I hope I added enough help for folks to understand how to
> > use it.
> >
> > However, I need help.
> >
> > I would like to use xastir to add a new SERIAL TNC and not a kiss tnc.
> > I can modify the start up file and exit file.  What I need help with is
> > HOW to get the kiss off command into that text file so xastir will leave
> > my tnc back in command mode.
> >
> > xastir default files in debian/ubuntu/mint are:
> > tnc-start.sys and tnc-stop.sys in /usr/share/xastir/config/
> >
> > Is there anyone with working files that would be willing to share this
> > secret?
> >
> > Thank you, 73

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM