[Xastir] Weather Stations

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Sep 25 00:37:41 PDT 2018

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 21:23:55 -0400
Dj Merrill <xastir at deej.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Although I've used Xastir for years as an iGate, I've never played
> with the weather stuff and have recently become interested in doing
> so.  I'm definitely in "learning mode" right now.
>
> I'm running Xastir on a Raspberry Pi, and would like to find a
> weather station that can be used with this setup, hopefully something
> that is no more than $200-$300.
>
> My understanding so far is that I can connect with either serial, or
> over the network.  My preference would be the network connection, and
> although there seem to be several weather stations on Amazon that
> claim WiFi connectivity, I don't know if they will support the proper
> connectivity protocols for Xastir to connect.
>
> For example, this unit is attractive:
>
> Ambient Weather WS-2902A weather station
>
> (https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Professional-Monitoring-Compatible/dp/B01N5TEHLI/)
>
> What exactly am I looking for to know if a weather station will be
> compatible with Xastir?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dj

Compatible with Xastir with no additional software, or with the use of
some other software to bridge the gap?
Here I'm thinking of MQTT server, or weeWx.

Do you just want weather "now" or do you want to archive your records?
Weather watching is an addictive pastime.

There are as many answers to the question of how can I broadcast my
weather via APRS as there are weather station owners on this list.
If you provide more details than a network connection and a price
range, you will get more targeted suggestions.

Liz
VK2XSE