[Xastir] Weather Stations

Dj Merrill xastir at deej.net
Tue Sep 25 12:28:10 PDT 2018

Hi Liz and Gerry,
	Thanks for getting back to me.  I really feel like I'm at the early
stages where I don't even know the right questions to ask let alone have
a firm idea of the design and implementation.

	I'm currently running Xastir on an RPi as an APRS iGate, and from
perusing the website it looks as though Xastir can talk to a variety of
weather stations directly, and then, I presume, pass the weather
information along the APRS chain to the CWOP systems.

	I'm not against having some additional software in the loop if it makes
for a better setup.

	The RPi is headless, so there is no need to display the weather
information at the console, however, it would be cool to be able to view
the information from another computer on the same network, perhaps even
setting up another RPi as a digital sign that will display the data in
realtime or close to it.

	WeeWX seems pretty nice, and it has the capability to upload the
information to a remote web server, so I could setup Apache on another
RPi that has the monitor attached to view the weather info (or run
Apache on the same RPi and just connect to it from a remote web browser,
whichever makes sense).

	It looks like there is an APRS extension that generates APRS-compliant
packets.  It is not entirely clear to me yet how to connect WeeWX and
Xastir so that Xastir will process and send out the weather information
in addition to its current function as an APRS iGate.

	How do I setup the integration between WeeWX and Xastir?

	The WeeWX website lists a number of weather stations that it is
compatible with, so that gives me a lot of options to research for the
hardware.

Thanks!

-Dj

--