[Xastir] Weather Stations

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 25 14:38:54 PDT 2018

Another project I want to pursue: Xastir on a Pi. Should be
straightforward, but I need more than the usual 28 hours in the workday!

Since you've got a callsign, have WeeWx send data to 'rotate.aprs.net' and '
rotate.aprs2.net' then connect to one of the Core servers and snag weather
data from the Core. There's also an aggregation service where you can get
data if you want to get more than just ham operators, but I don't advertise
that much...

gerry

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Dj Merrill <xastir at deej.net> wrote:

> Hi Liz and Gerry,
>         Thanks for getting back to me.  I really feel like I'm at the early
> stages where I don't even know the right questions to ask let alone have
> a firm idea of the design and implementation.
>
>         I'm currently running Xastir on an RPi as an APRS iGate, and from
> perusing the website it looks as though Xastir can talk to a variety of
> weather stations directly, and then, I presume, pass the weather
> information along the APRS chain to the CWOP systems.
>
>         I'm not against having some additional software in the loop if it
> makes
> for a better setup.
>
>         The RPi is headless, so there is no need to display the weather
> information at the console, however, it would be cool to be able to view
> the information from another computer on the same network, perhaps even
> setting up another RPi as a digital sign that will display the data in
> realtime or close to it.
>
>         WeeWX seems pretty nice, and it has the capability to upload the
> information to a remote web server, so I could setup Apache on another
> RPi that has the monitor attached to view the weather info (or run
> Apache on the same RPi and just connect to it from a remote web browser,
> whichever makes sense).
>
>         It looks like there is an APRS extension that generates
> APRS-compliant
> packets.  It is not entirely clear to me yet how to connect WeeWX and
> Xastir so that Xastir will process and send out the weather information
> in addition to its current function as an APRS iGate.
>
>         How do I setup the integration between WeeWX and Xastir?
>
>         The WeeWX website lists a number of weather stations that it is
> compatible with, so that gives me a lot of options to research for the
> hardware.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Dj
>

> --
> Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
> Currently Flying: Glastar
> Previously: Cessna 150 - Glasair 1 FT - Grumman AA1B

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371