[Xastir] OpenTrac

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Apr 7 14:01:35 PDT 2019

So, I have been going through Xastir very slowly trying to clean up the many,
many warnings that are emitted by modern compilers.  GCC 8 is especially noisy,
and warns about many things that are not in fact errors in Xastir, but it is
also finding a bunch of potential problems that need cleaning up.

A bunch of these potential problems are showing up in the various functions
to handle OpenTrac protocol packets.  Some of these are potential buffer
overruns, others are just noise.

I discussed with Curt how to clean these up, and we could do one of two things:
   - work hard to work out exactly how to fix things so the code actually works
   OR
   - just remove OpenTrac support, since it's basically dead

The latter is probably the right thing to do, as there are probably very few
people out there who even remember what OpenTrac was, and even fewer who still
use it.  It was meant to be a more carefully designed protocol than APRS
(which grew more-or-less organically, and randomly), but never really
caught on.  I do not believe there are any currently-available trackers or
software that supports transmitting it.

So, is anyone at all using the OpenTrac decoding in Xastir, and would they
be upset if it were removed?

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM