[Xastir] OpenTrac

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sun Apr 7 21:01:53 PDT 2019

Hello Tom,

Thanks for working on this.  To be honest, I've never even heard of
OpenTrac protocol before and I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on
APRS.  Guess not!   Anyway, as I've learned from the hobby, the APRS
protocol is very capable but also buried in a huge amount of legacy
"debt".  It's shift away from RELAY, it's multiple addendum and what not
really make it difficult to implement a clean solution.  I don't know
why OpenTrac didn't catch on but maybe embedded solutions can't support
both protocols simultaneously on the same frequency?  Maybe there isn't
enough real benefit over APRS to deploy it more widely?  It also doesn't
help that TNC vendors like Kantronics, Timewave, etc. have essentially
abandoned their firmware work.

If something modern like say Direwolf added Opentrac support, would that
help?  I see that YACC supports it already as well.

--David
KI6ZHD