[Xastir] Xastir weather alerts

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 29 10:15:33 PST 2019

It looks like some of the work cleaning up compiler warnings resulted in
broken code to concatenate strings.

I'm looking into it.  It may take a while.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 11:08:32AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> In a recent message, Apostolos Kefalas asked:
>
> Hello all,
>

> I am on Xastir v2.1.3 (6884c6f9) and now I have noticed that the
> weather alert list (View -> Weather Alerts) is not showing all the
> data.
>
> I remember in older versions of Xastir we could see the type of alert,
> expiration time and area codes.
>
> Happy New Year to All
>
> Apostolos, SV1LJJ
>
> ----
>
> It looks suspiciously like something has changed in the data coming in related
> to weather alerts, and xastir is improperly parsing it.
>
> For example, a quick view of my net feed shows this packet coming in:
>
> UNRWSW>APRS,TCPIP,qAO,WE7U-WX::NWS-WARN :300100z,WINTER_WEATHER,SDZ14-31-32-41>44 {THj1D
>
> But all that shows up in the weather alerts box is:
>
> UNRWSW  THj1D  NWS-WARN  z
>
> Somehow that incoming data is not properly being parsed anymore.  Most of the
> alerts I find in my wx alerts dialog look like this, with a few extra
> adornments, like:
>
> ABRWSW  T3Y4B NWS-WARN 03 @z
>
> Very, very few have full data, but some do:
> SGFFLS  10020 NWS_ADVIS 01 @0000z ==> 03 @0224z NI MO_C185 FLOOD
>
> Whether this is a change in the incoming data formatting or something broken
> in Xastir's code is another question.  Looks like we need a deep dive into
> the alert parsing code to see if there are changes necessary.  The alert code
> has not had meaningful changes in a very long time.  There was some effort
> to eliminate compiler warnings in 2017 and again earlier this year, but those
> should not have changed functionality.
>
> However, Xastir does have an NWS-TEST.log file that we're supposed to be
> able to read in and get alerts, and when I read it in it shows up as garbled
> alerts just like the new ones have.
>
> Interestingly enough, though, when I read in NWS-TEST.log the alerts do show
> up on the map.  The data is just missing in the alert dialog box.
>
> So it looks like something got mangled in the code where data is parsed out
> for display in the dialog, but there is enough information getting decoded to
> display it on the map.
>

> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> Tijeras, NM
>
>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM