[Xastir] Fwd: Font errors continue

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 11 15:00:55 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:46:28AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jim at ki7ay.com> flavor, containing:
> I'm sending this out again. I have not yet conquered these error
> messages, although Dave KD7MYC has been trying to help me.
>
> Question: If I add Adobe helvetica fonts to the system, will that cure
> these issues?

Yes, it should remove the problem of Xastir complaining about missing
helvetica fonts.

> Question #2: If so, how do I do that?

Helvetica fonts are supposed to be in the 100dpi and 75dpi font packages,
which are no longer installed as a default part of X11 installation on
Debian and therefore Raspbian.  They have to be installed in a separate
step.

Have you done this?

 sudo apt-get install xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
 xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi

These are in the Installation notes for Rasberry Pi on the Xastir wiki and
are supposed to address this exact issue.  It was brought up earlier in this
mailing list, so I hadn't piped in.

I did just try on a machine I have that has Ubuntu 16.04 installed, and
didn't have the helvetica fonts.  Before doing those commands, xfontsel
didn't show the adobe-helvetica font foundry and family, and after doing them
xfontsel showed them.

If you haven't done this yet, please do it.  It should get you the adobe
helvetica fonts.  If you have already done it, I can't say what's going on
for you.

> 73 again, KI7AY
>

> I rewrote a fresh Raspbian Stretch image onto a brand new Samsung PRO
> ENdurance microSDHC UHS-1 card. I booted the RaspberryPi 3 v. B+ and
> went through all the setups, including changing the root password to
> something I can remember (and the Pi password, of course).
>
> I then went to https://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Raspbian and
> downloaded the shell script referenced there for Xastir.
>
> I ran the shell script (which completed properly).
>
> I then ran Xastir and did setup as needed. I used the standard default map.
>
> I now get these errors:
>
> *"Warning:**
> **?????? Name: create_appshell text_output2**
> **?????? Class: XmTextField**
> **?????? Character '\260' not supported in font.?? Discarded.**
> **
> **get_rotated_label_text_height_pixels: Couldn't get font
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"*
>
> The last line repeats over and over.
>
> Anyone have any insight for me?
>
> 73 Jim KI7AY EM25pd
>
> --