[Xastir] Fwd: Font errors continue

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 11 15:07:34 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:53:40PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd5mkv at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I looked through mailing list, and ran this in month of November 2018 without any error messages. launch xastir with this in terminal  LANG=C xastir     or   LANG=" " xastir
>

> Running for hour with LANG=" " xastir , and nothing seen in terminal or /var/log/syslog.
> Steve kd5mkv

This should clear the "\260" error messages but not the helvetica problem.
That second problem should be fixed by installing the 100dpi and 75dpi fonts
packages and adding them to your fontpath.

The \260 thing was introduced when Curt added support for the Greek language.
Some of the problem was fixed in subsequent commits, but a lot of them still
remain --- it's an issue of Xastir no longer forcing itself unconditionally
into a certain locale like it used to do, and instead periodically switching
locale only when it needs to do certain i/o operations.  But some of our
graphics rendering (notably wherever we need to display the degree symbol)
depends on not being in anything but C locale.

I should note also that this isn't just a matter of spewing extra noise to
the console, we're incorrectly rendering text on the maps and in station info
dialogs that should be showing degree symbols, but instead displays nothing
and *then* throws this warning.

So there's some breakage as a result of adding support for the Greek language,
and nobody's had time to go dig into it and unbreak it.

Setting LANG=C or LANG=" " does end the warnings, but may have other annoying
consequences that have not been thoroughly investigated.  Years ago I had
problems with using "LANG=C" this way, and it broke certain dialog boxes
by not letting me enter text into them.  If you see this happen, please let
us know, because the fix for it back then was to NOT specify LANG=C and let
Xastir's now-broken internal locale setting do its job.

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM