[Xastir] KPC-3+ USB connection

Terry & Marc Gillespie tlgmag at npgcable.com
Mon Feb 18 09:18:52 PST 2019

Hello,

This is my first request for help with Xastir. I have done research on this problem but there’s a good chance that I have missed something in the documentation and FAQs.

I am new to Linux but I have been a hobbyist in the DOS/Windows area for years. I was able to set up Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and compiled Xastir V2.1.1.
I purchased a KPC-3+ USB version TNC. My xastir program doesn’t seem to see RF contacts. Under View>Incoming Data, the program shows a continuous stream from the Internet but nothing from RF with either "TNC Data only” or “TNC and Net Data” selected. I installed minicom and see multiple contacts from the KPC on port /dev/ttyUSB0. I used the Interface>Interface Control to add the Internet Server and Serial TNC. I entered "/dev/ttyUSB0" in the TNC Port and used “tnc-startup.kpc3” in the TNC Setup Filename.

In the Interface Control window Device 0 (Internet Server) shows UP but Device 1 (Serial TNC) shows DOWN. In the documentation that I have read I missed an explanation of what the UP and DOWN words are trying to tell me. Can someone help me get the RF contacts recognized or direct me toward more documentation that will help me better understand what I need to do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

73 Terry Gillespie, KI7FXA