[Xastir] KPC-3+ USB connection

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:26:09 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Terry & Marc Gillespie <tlgmag at npgcable.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first request for help with Xastir. I have done research on
> this problem but there’s a good chance that I have missed something in the
> documentation and FAQs.
>
> I am new to Linux but I have been a hobbyist in the DOS/Windows area for
> years. I was able to set up Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and compiled Xastir V2.1.1.
> I purchased a KPC-3+ USB version TNC. My xastir program doesn’t seem to
> see RF contacts. Under View>Incoming Data, the program shows a continuous
> stream from the Internet but nothing from RF with either "TNC Data only” or
> “TNC and Net Data” selected. I installed minicom and see multiple contacts
> from the KPC on port /dev/ttyUSB0. I used the Interface>Interface Control
> to add the Internet Server and Serial TNC. I entered "/dev/ttyUSB0" in the
> TNC Port and used “tnc-startup.kpc3” in the TNC Setup Filename.

You may want to read the comments in the startup script files located in
/usr/local/share/xastir/config
The more generic tnc-startup.sys might be a better fit.

> In the Interface Control window Device 0 (Internet Server) shows UP but
> Device 1 (Serial TNC) shows DOWN. In the documentation that I have read I
> missed an explanation of what the UP and DOWN words are trying to tell me.
> Can someone help me get the RF contacts recognized or direct me toward more
> documentation that will help me better understand what I need to do to
> solve this problem?
>
> If you launch Xastir from a terminal, then try to start the interface from
Interface Control, do you see an error message in the terminal?  First
thought is your username might not be a member of the dialout group and
doesn't have permission to open the port.  I do note you were able to
access it with minicom, though.

Another option would be to manually put the TNC in Kiss mode and create a
serial Kiss TNC interface in Xastir.  With that setup I don't think you
would need a startup or shutdown file referenced in the interface
configuration.  If desired I believe you could also create your own startup
files that would put the TNC in Kiss mode to start and take it out when
exiting.

Lee - K5DAT

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>