[Xastir] Launch fail after git pull / OSX 10.13.6

Russo Tom russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 6 10:08:52 PDT 2019

OK, that confirms that you are running GraphicsMagick, and that it is a new
enough version that the latest commit was essential to get Xastir built.  That
is obvious because if Xastir were using ImageMagick, the map_geo.c code that
is causing the compile failure wouldn't have mattered (it's inside an ifdef
that only impacts GraphicsMagick).

If you're using the online OSM maps, the change was irrelevant, because that
was in the "map_geo.c" code, which only impacts NON-OSM maps (OSM maps are
handled by the "map_OSM.c" code, which was unchanged).  That's good news,
at least, because it takes that variable out of the problem.

if this was working fine prior to the last commit, it means that your
GraphicsMagick installation got upgraded in the last couple of weeks --- if
that were not the case, you wouldn't have been able to compile the previous
version of the code.

So it sounds as if there's a problem with the Magick install, and it will
be difficult to investigate further without the aid of another user who
is running Xastir on OS X and MacPorts, and who can see the same failure.

FWIW, I also use GraphicsMagick and the online OSM maps, and am having no
issue on my non-Mac OS.

Jason has an OS X system and also is running with no problem, but we'll have
to make sure he's testing with the same OSM map you're using, and that
he's using MacPorts instead of some other package manager like homebrew.
Please let us know exactly which OSM map you're trying to display.

The Berkeley DB warnings you're getting at run time are, while annoying,
basically irrelevant to this issue, as they apply only to certain NON OSM
maps that don't provide tile service.  Servers of this sort provide instead
a fixed map image for each request.  The Berekely db is used to
index the images by location and zoom level so they can be re-read from a
local storage rather than downloaded repeatedly, even when zooming and panning
around.

Since you've got multiple versions of the libraries and headers installed,
it's finding the headers for one and the libraries for another, and therefore
disabling the feature altogether --- which means that you lose an
optimization, but would otherwise have no change in how Magick is run.  Since
your crash is in Magick, we have to look elsewhere for the source of this
problem.

If you're never using non-tiled ".geo" maps, the db issue is just a
distraction.

Which brings us to another question:  are you using the TILED or non-tiled
OSM maps (the tiled ones have the word "tiled" in their name)?  I'm pretty
sure we don't still have non-tiled OSM geo files anymore, but it's worth
checking.

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 06:46:54PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <F1MHV at free.fr> flavor, containing:

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY