[Xastir] Xastir and Weewx

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jun 9 14:09:50 PDT 2019

Xastir's Peet support would only have worked if the WX station were connected
directly to the same machine as the Xastir instance via a serial port or
that feeds the raw Peet format data through a network server of some kind.
The native support is only for Ultimeter 2000 or Ultimeter II.

If you connect via a serial port, it's all there, and Xastir will auto-detect
the type of station based on the data it receives.  But unless you have
a network server that is providing the data in exactly the same format as
serial, the "networked wx" interface will have a hard time.  The only server
code we have that can do the job right now is the Davis meteo thing, and
the hacks that make LaCrosse and wxnow.txt weather stations piggy-back on
that decoding routine.

One could presumably craft some other tool that provided peet raw data over
a network port that Xastir could connect to, but for the purpose of having
a weather station connected to a pi, and Xastir running on some other machine
on the LAN, using the wxnow.txt form is probably the simplest hack to get
'er done.

And one could always try to expand the code in wx.c to decode other stations,
but that's more work that nobody's on deck to take on.

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 02:09:56PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <clintheffner at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> It may have worked natively if running some peetbros software. I don't
> know, only have a pi in the barn and it runs weewx to feed data to the cwop
> network.
>
> Clint -- KF8MZ
>
> On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 10:10 PM Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Clint Heffner <clintheffner at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > See the wxnowsrv.pl script. You question prompted me to dig into what
> > > wxnow.txt was, and a half hour later I have it working.
> > >
> > > I'm running the script on a pi in my barn connected to a peetbros wx
> > > station.
> > >
> > > Then xastir on a pi in the shack connects to it like a wx server.
> > >
> > > Clint -- KF8MZ
> > >
> > > I thought Peetbros was one of the weather stations Xastir supports
> > natively - or were you already leveraging that before trying out the
> > script?
> >   Alternatively pehaps the script is the best or only way to make it work
> > between two different Pi's?  (The weather station on one, and Xastir on the
> > other?)
> >
> > Lee - K5DAT

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM