[Xastir] Xastir and Weewx

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Jun 7 15:42:43 PDT 2019

Bruce,

There are two fixable issues with wxnow.txt ...
1. Humidity is formatted to three digits but the APRS spec is for 2
places. The result is that when sent to APRS the third digit is cut off
so that 20%, e.g., appears as 02%. However, this is easily fixed by
editing /usr/share/weewx/user/cwxn.py, to change the appropriate line
(towards the end of the file).
2. rain24 is never displayed, always showing 000. Provision is made in
cwxn.py to get the data from weewx but I "think" that data is not
available in a standard release without writing appropriate code to
extract and store it. I don't understand weewx or Python well enough to
attempt to write that code.

The following probably won't suit everyone but it suits my needs until I
find a better way.

I added a rolling 24 hour total column to weewx - the Australian wx day
starts at 09:00 so a total since midnight is fairly meaningless - and
scrape the html page to get a rain24 figure. Since we use metric I
already had a script (to process other nearby wx stations) to convert to
the APRS imperial standard units, adding a few more lines to that script
to add the rain24 figure was quite easy. My weewx runs on a separate
machine to xastir so I send the output of my script to xastir as a udp
packet. The disadvantage with my method is that Own Wx Data is not shown
in xastir, but that doesn't matter to me.

Ray vk2tv