[Xastir] ignoring NMEA talker IDs Re: (no subject)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 14 12:31:24 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 11:10:38AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I received this from someone who temporarily cannot post to the Xastir
> list. I was wondering if the change that was made recently for
> GPS/Glonass/Beidou/Galileo NMEA sentences would also be a fix for this.
> Seems to me Tom changed the code so the first two NMEA characters are
> ignored, which should fix this issue. Here's the question:
>
> "you may remember that some time (a couple of years) ago I raised an issue:
>
> I???m using Xastir on my sailing boat and the GPS onboard has the NMEA
> sentencies starting, not with the usual $GP, but with $II (Integrated
> instrumentation). For this reason the (then) current version of Xastir was
> not recognizing the navigational GPS, and I had to use a spare one."

Somehow I managed not to spot this incoming email, and indeed everything since
last Thursday, but yes, this issue was addressed in PR #122 last week.

Xastir now recognizes RMC and GGA sentences from any talker by ignoring the
two talker id characters (the two right after the $, and right before GGA or
RMC).

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM