[Xastir] Update frequency for FCC and NWS?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 18 15:08:45 PDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 04:43:33PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <Tom at Henderson4.us> flavor, containing:
> Just curious how often most of you update the FCC database and NWS shape
> files?

Rarely.

I hang onto NWS files for years.  County boundaries don't actually change
very often, and the other alert boundaries in my area don't change often,
either, and when they do it doesn't *really* make much difference for the
amount of information displayed concerning weather alerts.  So I usually
don't waste time downloading them.   Curt does it often mostly to make sure
the get-NWSdata script continues to work (which is really important for
new users to get their first batch of files).

I update the FCC database every couple of blue moons.  Usually when I do
an FCC lookup and it comes back with "callsign not found."

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM